Expert Ratings is reader-supported. When you buy through a link on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional costs to you. Learn More
Are you much into coding or programming? Are you confused about whether to buy a vertical monitor or not?
Well, worry not as in this article, we will go through all vertical monitor pros and cons. This will help you decide what’s best for you.
The short answer is, you must go with the best vertical monitor for purposes like text writing, streaming, coding, programming, editing, and reading.
This vertical screen monitor will increase the productivity rate of your work, making your tasks easier and quicker, enhancing the ultimate result.
In addition to making your viewing experience more entertaining and your work more productive, this vertical monitor will remarkably upgrade designing vertical layouts, reading your favorite e-book, or browsing through an online article.
To know more about vertical monitors, their various benefits and drawbacks you must go through this article.
- 1 What Is a Vertical Monitor Good For?
- 2 Are Vertical Monitors Good for Programmers? Who Can Benefit From Vertical Monitors and Who Can’t?
- 3 How to set up a vertical monitor?
- 4 Are Vertical Monitors Better? What Are the Benefits of Setups With multiple Vertical Monitors?
- 5 Can you make any monitor vertical?
- 6 Vertical Monitor Pros and Cons
- 7 Pros of Vertical monitor
- 8 Cons of Vertical Monitors
- 9 What’s a good size for a vertical monitor?
What Is a Vertical Monitor Good For?
As I mentioned, vertical screen monitors are more for people who are into coding, writing, or proofreading, as they have to work for long hours.
This vertical monitor orientation enforces less eye movement, which makes them less tired. So you can simply extend your working hours and give more effective output.
This vertically aligned monitor will help you see more at once on your screen and you don’t need to scroll up and down every time to read the texts or edit them.
You’ll have fewer neck and eye strains and you will be able to save your time rather than wasting it on scrolling the screen. This will help in enhancing your work productivity and provide you with consistency.
Are Vertical Monitors Good for Programmers? Who Can Benefit From Vertical Monitors and Who Can’t?
Vertical monitors are a great option for people who are more into office work like, content writing, proofreading, or software development and coding. How about lawyers and professors?
Undoubtedly! As they have to go through hundreds of pages of case materials and assignments.
Who else? professional photographers, of course! They will find a vertical monitor, a more superior option, as photos in portrait mode get more allocated space for editing and presenting. The work will be presented more effectively in front of their clients, and it will have a long-lasting impact.
Vertical screen monitors will be beneficial for pro streamers and gamers too. For streamers can have the streaming content in the upper part and they can chat with their fans in the lower part of the screen.
Coming to gamers, gamers can speak with their team and at the same time have other web pages open at the bottom portion of the screen which is functional for the game.
But there are still areas like video editing and stuff which make use of the regular monitors with the landscape position of the screen.
I have written a separate article on this (You can click the heading to check it out).
The contemporary monitors which are coming into the market these days have the feature of orientation setting regardless of whatever alignment they are made for.
We wish to position the monitor exactly according to our comfort, either by using the mount that comes with the monitor or by buying an optional monitor mount.
You need to make a few changes in your settings if you wish to change the orientation of the monitor by using the software part.
For instance, if you are using a Windows OS or Windows 10 you need to right-click the desktop and go to display settings and if you’re using a Windows 7 then you need to go to the screen resolution option.
Now, a window with various options will pop up, you need to select display orientation and choose landscape or portrait mode from the menu as per your wish. Thereafter simply select the desired mode and click apply.
Now coming to the hardware part you can tilt the monitor on its stand or you can mount it and extend it onto your wall or desk.
Monitors with speakers will lose their stereo effect due to the repositioning. So, you can use a USB hub or an audio jack for connecting an external pair of speakers for the continuance of your entertainment.
You can even combine two to three vertical monitors in a single setup, which will help you have additional screens, for debugging your problems or for live testing of your codes.
You can simultaneously work on multiple screens and will be able to use your time effectively and have productive results. Having this multi-setup screen depends on your budget and requirements.
Are Vertical Monitors Better? What Are the Benefits of Setups With multiple Vertical Monitors?
People who are working with code, text documentation, notes, papers, and these tasks, in general, in which the requirement of flow is essential, can make better use of the vertical mode of the monitor over a portrait monitor.
And having a multi-screen setup of vertical monitors will be highly advantageous to them.
Unlike, the multi-screen set up in landscape orientation, which will make you turn your head every time, from left to right making it awkward and uncomfortable for you, and it will also result in your neck strain.
Coders, especially, can make the best use of vertical monitors as they will be allowed to see more lines of code on the screen at the same time. The accuracy of eyes is affected by the lengths of the line.
So, short lines will allow the eyes to move swiftly and more precisely. This will help them in doing their coding more efficiently. The same goes for programming too.
So the setup with multiple vertical monitors is going to make your work unchallenging and speedy!
Can you make any monitor vertical?
You cannot make any monitor vertical. That’s because you need a monitor whose stand supports a vertical tilt.
However, the fun fact is that most of the monitors available today can be made vertical. So you don’t have much to worry about.
You can very well change the alignment of your monitor into a vertical or horizontal mode as per your desire.
There are several models of monitors which come with mounts, with the help of which you can position the screen according to your comfort.
So you can pivot your display based on your needs, you just need to make a few changes to your monitor screen settings, and you are done!
Vertical Monitor Pros and Cons
Pros of Vertical monitor
- Having a vertical screen allows for more natural eye movement. You don’t need to move your head every time, from left to right. This will prevent your eyes and neck from getting strained.
- Who would’ve thought that vertical videos would become so extremely popular? Consumers have changed their video game habits and now web series and videos on Instagram and Pinterest are all made to be watched vertically. So a vertical monitor is surely going to provide you, a better viewing experience.
- Vertical monitors provide you with the ability of dual screen viewing, which is great, for people who have to manage two or more computers at the same time.
- You can very easily reposition the screen of your monitor either to landscape or portrait mode as per your choice by just performing a simple function and making a few changes in the settings.
- One of the perks of a vertical monitor is to provide you with more space due to which you will be able to view more and do more work, with consistency and effectiveness.
Cons of Vertical Monitors
- You cannot rotate the monitor of every single computer, due to which we get a limited choice. Monitors with dual-orientation settings are quite expensive and will cost more than horizontal ones.
- Vertical screens have fewer adjusting angles than the horizontal ones due to which their ability to catch glare from light sources is increased.
- Most developers and engineers can very easily fall into the trap of code smell as they are not habitual in using a vertical monitor.
What’s a good size for a vertical monitor?
There is no general size recommendation for a vertical monitor. But I’ve seen that vertical monitors with 24-inch screens are very widely used.
The 16:10 aspect ratio is the best aspect ratio for vertical monitors (when it comes to increasing productivity). However, if you plan to use the monitor in a portrait mode as well, I suggest you go with a 16:9 monitor as it will help you with horizontal usage too.
So developers have you made the big tilt?
A vertical monitor will surely come in handy to you if you are a coder or work with a lot of textual content. You will find vertically-oriented screens worth every penny if you are into video content or photo editing. Gamers and streamers can also enjoy working with it as per their preferences.
Whatever may be your choice you must make sure that the type of monitor you get fulfills your needs perfectly. But considering all the stated facts, vertical monitors are a welcomed addition to the market and will be in trend for a long.
So as per the popular saying, when in Rome do as the Romans do; I bought myself one and never regretted the buy.
You have been provided with all the related information regarding vertical monitors. Must go through this article before making your choice.