Adobe illustrator System Requirements
If you have been in the design space, you are probably pretty familiar with illustrator. It was developed by Adobe Inc and is a vector graphics editor and design program. Interestingly, it was originally designed only for the Apple Macintosh. Later on it was released for the Windows platform as well. The development of Adobe Illustrator began in 1985.
Having got the background,
let us look at the minimum system requirements for Adobe Illustrator:
|Particulars||Windows Minimum System Requirements|
|Processor||Multicore Intel processor (with 32/64-bit support) or AMD Athlon 64 processor|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 10*|
|RAM||2 GB of RAM (4 GB recommended) for 32 bit; 4 GB of RAM (16 GB recommended) for 64 bit|
|Hard disk||2 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation; SSD recommended|
|Monitor resolution||1024 x 768 display (1920 x 1080 recommended) To use Touch workspace in Illustrator, you must have a touch-screen-enabled tablet/monitor running Windows 10 (Microsoft Surface Pro 3 recommended).|
|GPU*||OpenGL 4.x Optional: To use GPU Performance: Your Windows should have a minimum of 1GB of VRAM (4 GB recommended), and your computer must support OpenGL version 4.0 or greater.|
|Internet connection||Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.**|
Notes: The MacOS Requirements have been discussed seperately below
If you want to check out some of the PCs that have these requirements fulfilled, you can check our list of the best Adobe illustrator laptops. We’ve also covered Macbooks as well, so you can choose whatever you want.
The following video adapter series support the new Windows GPU Performance features in Illustrator:
- NVIDIA Quadro K Series
- NVIDIA Quadro 6xxx
- NVIDIA Quadro 5xxx
- NVIDIA Quadro 4xxx
- NVIDIA Quadro 2xxx
- NVIDIA Quadro 2xxxD
- NVIDIA Quadro 6xx
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX Series (4xx, 5xx, 6xx, 7xx, Titan)
Important: Microsoft Windows may not detect the availability of the latest device drivers for NVIDIA GPU cards. To get the latest GPU card device drivers, browse to
- Quadro series: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/86066/en-us.
- Other series: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
- Intel HD Graphics 4000 Series
- Intel HD Graphics 5000 Series
- Intel Iris Graphics 5000 Series
- Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5000 Series
The following series are supported only on Windows 8 (or later):
- AMD Radeon R9 Series Graphics
- AMD Radeon R7 Series Graphics
- AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series Graphics
- AMD Radeon HD 8000 Series Graphics
Ensure that your video adapter device drivers are up-to-date. Here’s how you can ensure that you have the latest GPU card drivers installed: Illustrator GPU Performance Driver Updates.
Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.**
Minimum Mac OS Requirements for Adobe Illustrator
- Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support or M1 Chip from Apple
- Mac OS X versions 10.9, 10.10, or 10.11 or later
- 2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
- 2 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash storage devices)
- 1024 x 768 display (1280 x 800 recommended)
- To use the GPU performance features: Your Mac should have a minimum of 512 MB of VRAM (2 GB recommended), and your computer must support OpenGL version 4.0 or greater.
- To check for VRAM values:
Mac 10.9: Click Mac > About This Mac > More Info (Graphics information)
Mac 10.10, 10.11: Click Mac > About This Mac (Graphics information)
- To check if your computer supports the required OpenGL version (4.0 or later), check this Apple Support document.
- To check for VRAM values:
- Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.*
Let us now discuss some of the Frequently Asked Questions..
People also ask – FAQs
Is 4GB RAM enough for Adobe Illustrator?
Although 4GB RAM is sufficient to run Adobe Illustrator, we strongly recommend that you aim for at least 8GB of RAM as you will be using other services alongside illustrator as well.
Is graphic card necessary for Illustrator?
Yes, a graphic card is necessary for illustrator. The reason is that Illustrator uses GPU to accelerate most of its operations. Definitely, every component of your PC contributes to the performance of Illustrator, but GPU is one of the most important parts.
Can my laptop run Adobe Illustrator?
If your laptop matches the system requirements we discussed above, your laptop should support Illustrator.
Can I buy Adobe Illustrator permanently?
There is no method to get one-time purchasing option for illustrator. If your license expires, you will be locked out of the paid features.
Vector making and Design software like Illustrator always need more power than traditional systems which is dependent on your workload.
The performance demand by AI depends on many factors, like the number of vectors used, typed and amount outlines, various effects used, the number of layers, or masks used, etc.
Having said all the AI system requirements, having a look at these will also help you to get a PC for yourself in case you have not purchased one yet:
- CPU: The higher the Clock speed, the better will be the performance of AI. You don’t need many cores for Illustrator.
- RAM: The more RAM, the better. For good performance, get at least 8GB of RAM, 16GB of RAM will ensure smooth operations.
- GPU: A dedicated GPU always outperforms an integrated GPU of similar specs. Thus they are much better than an integrated GPU (iGPU). We recommend that you get an Nvidia GTX or RTX GPU for the best performance.